The UK media disgusts me

by cedars 39 Replies latest jw friends

  • cofty
    cofty

    MidwichCuckoo, Here is what I sent. I have PMd it to you but I thought I may as well post it here..


    I hope the following may be of interest to you.

    The official policy of secrecy that led to this trial is still binding on the Elders of every JW congregation in the United Kingdom.

    Bill Blyth

    Berwick-upon-Tweed

    (mobile number)

    (Former JW Elder)


    The legal corporation that controls the activities of Jehovah’s Witnesses, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, has been ordered by a Californian court to pay $20 000 001 in punitive damages to a victim of child sexual abuse.

    The victim Candace Conti brought the action after the organisation refused to change its official policy of secrecy as to sexual abuse of children by congregation members. As a nine year old Candace was abused by Jehovah’s Witness Jonathan Kendrick on multiple occasions over a period of more than a year beginning in 1995. It was proven in court that Elders of the North Freemont Congregation received a confession from Kendrick in 1993 that he had molested his stepdaughter Andrea.

    Following official policy the Elders kept this confession secret and failed to alert the police or warn parents in the congregation that Kendrick posed a danger to their children. The policy forbidding local elders from taking appropriate action was laid down in a confidential letter from the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses to all Bodies of Elders worldwide on July 1 1989. This policy remains in place.

    The jury found that “the negligent conduct of Watchtower that was a substantial factor in causing harm to Plaintiff Candace Conti was engaged in with malice.”

    The 2002 Panorama documentary “Suffer the Little Children” exposed the potential size of this problem in the USA and the United Kingdom. This is the first time a victim of the Watchtower’s policy has refused to settle out of court and the favourable decision may lead to more claims.


    Court documents can be viewed at http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/domainweb/html/index.html Click on the “Case Summary” link and enter case number HG11558324

    See also - http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/15/12225753-jehovahs-witnesses-ordered-to-pay-more-than-20-million-to-woman-who-said-she-was-sexually-abused?lite

  • BorgHater
    BorgHater

    Hi Cedars, really admire all you are trying to do, I have sent you a PM with a suggestion.

  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

    There is one other thing to consider. This was a victory in America. AGAINST A RELIGION. The reprecussoins are unclear. Religion gets away with a lot here. Civil rights violations and hate speech are tolerated when cloaked in a religious mantel. This ruling has all churches looking up. This was just a rank and file member, and yet WT was still held responsible because they didn't inform that he was a convicted child molestor. Now think about all the priests that hear confession, all the pastors that offer counsel, and the random people that walk through their door. What are their responsibilities now? This case goes so far beyond the tiny walls of the KH, it kind of blows me away. So it is big news here. How far will it go? So go easy on UK news. I have often got from the UK that I couldn't get here. We will emphasize different portions on different sides of the ocean---but together much is being exposed. LOL: I have scenes playing out in my head where as each congregant walks through the door, he/she is announced along with his/her list of sexual violations. Silly, I know. Maybe they'll just put lists on their bulletin boards---except JW's---they'll put the lists on their message boards.

  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

    Cedars, I believe that Barbara said last night that the Associated Press had picked up the story and that it would go worldwide from there. She said it was still early, only two days. She said she thought it would speed up come Monday. She also stated that Simon, the attorney, and Candace would be interviewd on tv Monday, but she did not know the time; the tv crews were scheduled to come to the office. Don't lose heart. We will get there.

  • MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

    Cheers Cofty - I've responded

  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

    Incidently, I listened to the six screens interview until Barbara left at midnight. She said she was exhausted. She went into another man's program. He wanted to talk theology, but she said she had stayed late to answer questions.Rick interruped to make sure she could answer question,s as there were so many on the phone lines waiting to speak to her. I got to talk to her and so did others from JWN. She did a great job of answering our questions. The attorney was also great and very controlled. His main conceren was Candace and he was protective of her. Also, Rick Fearon did a good job; he did not interrupt or hog the show. He did good,imo.

  • MidwichCuckoo
  • cedars
    cedars

    FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

    I'm feeling a lot less "disgusted" by the UK media now.

    That's put a smile on my face!!

    Cedars

  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

    Daily Mail great, let's hope it's just the start. Do you reckon it will be in the print edition?

    When contacting media it might be best to include links to large American newspapers that have already run the story, like the Washington Post. Nothing sells like social proof.

  • usualusername
    usualusername

    Cedars

    The media dont know you and don't care about you. Sad but true.

    UUN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit